Thursday, April 10, 2014

Australians in Natal 1933

Armstrong, George Shearer
Barbour, Theophilus Henry
Bull, Henry Walter
Butler, Richard Henry
Carrick, Alfred Ernest Henry
Duncan, Lyndhurst Marshall
Eaton, John Kyer
Fairbridge, Henry
Fellows-Smith, Herbert
Henderson, George Dunnett
Hewlett, Claude Stephen
Hockaday, Percy Holland
Lovell, Rev. Ormond Esh
Paton, William Thomas
Rosselloty, Gerald Arthur Crampern
Schwarer, Harold J
Shepherd, Capt. P H (Mariner)
Stephens, John Moyle
Terry, George
Welsford, Norman

All were born in Australia.

Source: Natal Who's Who 1933

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Passengers to Natal per Phantom, 13 July 1858

From the Port Captain's original list:

Dr Wright

Mr and Mrs Bartholomew and 3 children 
Mr and Mrs Butterfield and 1 child 
Mr and Mrs Denel and 5 children 
Mr and Mrs Ford and 5 children 
Mr and Mrs Fowle and 1 child 
Mr and Mrs Horsley and 5 children 
Mr and Mrs Hulett 
Mr and Mrs Holliday and 4 children 
Mr and Mrs Jardine and 6 children 
Mr and Mrs Lindsay and 3 children 
Mr and Mrs Mack and 4 children 
Mr and Mrs McCullock and 4 children 
Mr and Mrs Redshaw and 4 children 
Mr and Mrs Tedder and 3 children 
Mr and Mrs Wilshire and 2 children 
Mr and Mrs Wray and 4 children 
Mr and Mrs Wray and 3 children 
Ann Douglas 
Ann Dolphin 
Sarah Ford 
Lucy Ford 
Ellen Ford 
Esther Holliday 
Mary Hulett 
Sarah Hulett 
Harriot (sic) Hulett 
Margaret McDonald 
Richard and Edmond Dolphin 
John Dyer 
John Holliday 
John Horsley 
June McNamara 
M Regan 
William Sweeny 
George Taylor 
William Whitlock 
Alfred Webb 
George Wray 
Mary Wray 
John Caffen/r

Port Office 
July 13 1858 
William Bell 
Port Captain

Note: over 50 children travelled on this voyage.

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Passengers to Natal: Globe and Henry Warburton 1850

The Natal Witness 13 September 1850 announced the arrival of the Globe.

This vessel, after a fast passage of 76 days from London, was able to enter the harbour immediately rather than anchoring outside in the roadstead.

The report mentions that she carried 'Messrs JC Byrne and Co's large iron hotel' among her other cargo. Packed into crates, the corrugated iron sheets were intended to provide an instant 22-room structure, another of Byrne's notions. Moreland, through shortage of money, was forced to offer the materials for sale to the Government but this idea came to nought and eventually the hotel, never assembled, formed part of the assets auctioned off in Byrne's insolvent estate.

Among the passengers was Charles Barter (incorrectly given in the Witness as Barber), later author of The Dorp and the Veld 1852. Robert Babbs became a pioneer sugar planter - see 

Daniel Washbourne brought with him the tools required for erecting Byrne's hotel and was for a time employed by Moreland (Byrne's agent) as a clerk and tutor to the latter's children. Robert Dawney became the successful owner of a Pietermaritzburg pharmacy and a fellow passenger, Challinor, also prospered as a chemist.


September 4th - The schooner Henry Warburton, 152 tons, from Liverpool, Captain P.W. Pentin. To come into the Harbour the first fair wind. Ten cabin passengers, and general cargo.

Mr Holden Splatt 
Mr James West, senior 
Mr James West, junior 
Mr Henry West 
Mr Richard Houston and lady 
Mr Wm. Booth, and man servant 
Mr Frank Eastwood 
Mr Henry Eastwood 
Mr Edward Parke Lamport, Agent.

September 6th - Hannah, schooner, G. Wetherall, from Cape Town.

September 7th - The barque Globe, 332 tons, Capt. John Liddell, came in without having anchored outside. Sailed from London on the 23rd of June. She contains Messrs J.C. Byrne and Co's large iron hotel, and general cargo.

The following is a list of the passengers:

Charles Barber (Barter) 
Richard Lawton 
Daniel Washbourne 
Henry J White and lady 
James Handley 
Henry Green 
Wm M Ravden (Rawden) 
HJ Leuchars 
Alfred George 
Robert Robertson and son Henry 
Wm Chutre (Chuter) 
John Gavin 
Wm Lewis 
GJ Challinor, lady and child 
Robert Babbs and lady 
Robert Dawney 
EP Lamport, Agent

The Sandwich, for Re-Union, with Cattle. 
The Fabberty, for Mauritius, with Cattle. 
The Rosebud, for Cape.

Sarah Bell, Hannah, Globe, Flora, and Henry Warburton.

From London 
Diamond, Toronto, Highland Maid, Nile and Justina.

From Hull 
Palace, Haidee, and a Schooner.

From Liverpool 

From Launceston 
Lalla Rookh

From Cape Town 
Water Witch

Friday, April 4, 2014

Passengers per Leontine Mary and the Ceres brings sugar cane tops Natal 1852

The Natal Mercury 30 Dec 1852 

Dec 25 - The Gem, schr, J Glendining from the Cape. J Proudfoot, agent. (General Cargo)

Dec 28 - The Ceres, schr, F Ashton, from Algoa Bay Dec 8, with part cargo from Mauritius. E P Lamport, agent.
Manifest: 45 bgs [bags] sugar, 4 cks [casks] molasses, 10 bgs dates: Evans & Churchill. 300 bgs lime, 5 000 cane tops, 1 bg green ginger: Henderson, Smerdon & Co. 5 000 cane tops: G C Cato. 75 bgs sugar: Breede & Co. 149 bgs sugar: McArthur & Hunter. 45 do. W Lister. 52 do. E Snell. 51 do. H E Knight. 250 bgs & 30 000 cane tops: Feilden & Co. 6 000 cane tops, 1 cs [case] sundries, 1 cs statuary, 4 bgs rice, 213 bgs & 16 casks sugar: W de Terrason.

Dec 29 - Leontine Mary, schr, Fuller, to East London and Port Elizabeth. E Snell, agent.
Manifest: 30 tons mealies, 59 bags potatoes and 100 yellow wood planks.
Passengers: Mrs Lofthouse and 2 children, Messrs. Baragwanath, Reed & Miles.

The Gem, schr, J Glendining J Proudfoot agent.
Ceres, schr, 117, F Ashton. E P Lamport, agent.


Wee Tottie, 150 tons, Robarts, sailed Aug 29th from London
Louisa Maria, 114 tons, Thornton, from London
Roscoe, 200 tons, Ritchie, from London
Margaret Gibson, brge [barge], 163 tons, Robinson, from Liverpool. E P Lamport, agent.
Augustus Schnader, bq [barque], London
Treet (Trent?), bq, 230, A Collett, London
Vibilia, schr 150, W J Robarts, London
Wanderer, 200, Glendining, London via Cape, sailed Oct 2nd.

The Ceres was within 30 miles of the Bluff 12 days ago, but being becalmed, was carried back by the current, and further afterwards by an easterly gale. It will be observed from the manifest that she brings, with other cargo, 46 000 cane tops.

Dec 27th 1852 - Mary Anne, wife of Mr Forsyth.

First public auction of sugar at Durban 23 June 1855;
Robert Acutt auctioneer.
 (Illustrated London News)

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Passenger arrivals and departures at Natal in 1852

The Natal Witness 23 January 1852 reported:

The Duo, brig, Captain Eneroth, from Cape Town.
Meurant (45th Regt.)
Phipson (and 2 children)
Mrs. Searle and four children
Miss Scott
One servant
One soldier (45th Regt.)

Devonian, E. P. Lamport, agent
Iris, J. Millar and Co. Agent

Typhena (sic - error for Tryphena)

Natal Witness 20 February 1852

Feb. 11 - Elizabeth Jane, from Mauritius, and sailed the 13th inst. for Port Elizabeth and Cape Town
Feb. 15 - Mayflower, Captain Langmair from London

Devonian, E.P. Lamport, agent
Iris, J. Millar and Co. agent
Rosebud, H. Jargal, agent

Trent, J. Brown, agent
Mayflower, J. Millar and Co. agents

Natal Witness 15 March 1852

Mayflower, J. Millar and Co. agents

March 11 - Wanderer, N. Glendining, from Algoa Bay.
Mrs. Adendorff (sic) and two children
Mrs. Jones, five children and servant.  J. Proudfoot, agent.

March 15 - Larne, schooner, from London, Mr. F. Simmons, master, for Comoro Islands, put in for water.

March 15 - Gem, J. Glendining, from Table Bay.
Mr. A. J. De Kock and family and J. De Kock and family
Rev. Mr. Appleyard and Mrs. Appleyard
Mrs. Snell
Mr. and Mrs. Field and family
Misses Bresler
S. De Kock
Revs. Dunn, Sabor, Logegary, and Allard
Messrs. Bompain, Herbert, Moore, and Long.
J. Proudfoot, agent.

Wanderer, Gem and Larne.

Natal Witness 20 August 1852

August 14th - Sir Robert Peel, Royal Mail Steamer, 233 tons, Captain J. Boxer from Table Bay and Algoa Bay 11 August, to this port. Cargo sundries.
Mr. and Miss Fairbridge and servant
Mr. Thompson and son
Mr. Symons
Lieut. Inglis, R.E.

Brings a Cape Mail. Crossed the bar on the 16th inst. E. Snell, agent. Reports the Ceres having sailed on the 30th July with the English mail for May and June.

Sir Robert Peel, steamer, J. Boxer, for Algoa Bay and Table Bay To sail on Saturday. E. Snell, Agent.

Bydal, (sic, Rydal?) for Mauritius, E. P. Lamport, Agent

From London - Narcissus and Hannah From the Cape - Ceres, Rosebud and City of Rotterdam


October 7th - Sir Robert Peel, Royal Mail Steamer, 234 tons, John Boxer, from Table Bay. Cargo - sundries.
Captain Smales and family
and another

Mr. Stretch

From the Cape: Lord Auckland, steamer, Sanspareil and Sarah Bell
From London: President and Wee Tottie


Sir Robert Peel, steamer, to Port Elizabeth and the Cape
Passengers for Port Elizabeth (in the Cabin)
Capt. Messum
Mrs Appleyard
Rev. Mr. Appleyard, wife and child

Hernes, wife and four children
For the Cape (in the Cabin) -
The Lieutenant Governor
Mr Christopher
Mrs. Christopher, child and servant

and five shipwrecked seamen

From the Cape - Lord Auckland, steamer, Sanspareil, Sarah Bell and Rosebud
From the Mauritius (sic) - Ceres
From London - President and Wee Tottie

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Commemorating St Helena Event: 3 April 2014

St Helena Connections?

Attend a commemorative event ...

Where? Woodburn Stadium, Pietermaritzburg.
When? 10h00  3 April 2014

For more information contact:
Lee du Preez 

072 739 3519


Free to download: The Sentinel newspaper published on St Helena every Thursday.

See p14 of 20 March 2014 edition of The Sentinel for more on tracing St Helena forebears and the KZN Natal Friends of St Helena Society Group who recently visited the island.

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Passengers to Natal: 1850s

A reminder of other ships arriving at Natal during the 1850s: the John Line, John Bright and Jane Morice. These vessels were not part of the Byrne emigration scheme.

See passenger lists at

Natal Witness 11 July 1851

Monday, March 31, 2014

Passenger list: Ballangeich to Natal 1850

Arrival of the Ballangeich was reported in The Natal Witness 2 July 1850:


July 26th - Ballangeich, Ship, Captain Liddell, from London with Emigrants; 
left Gravesend, on the 17th, and the Downs on the 19th May;
and arrived off this Port on the 26th ult. 
July 27th - Sandwich, Brig, Peddie, from London with Emigrants. 
July 29th - Border Maid, Schooner, from Cape Town.

July 29th - Gem, Schooner, Glendinning, to Cape. 
July 29th - Douglas, Schooner, Clarkson, to Cape Town.


Conquering Hero, Henrietta, Ballangeich, and Border Maid.

From London 
Coromandel, Justina, Nile. 
From Glasgow 
From Liverpool 
Henry Warburton. 
From Hull 
Palace, Haidee. 
From Launceston 
Lalla Rookh. 
From Cape Town 
Sarah Bell, Rosebud, Water Witch. 
From Mauritius 
Natal (ship)

List of Passengers per Ballangeich, 68 days from London. E. Morewood, Esq., Agent. 
C Owen 
TS Hopley 
R Salter 
Wm Newman 

I (or J) Reed 
J Dryden and family 
T Arnold 
Jane Arnold 
Jane Arnold (infant) 
T Ordish 
W Ordish 
J Green 
E Green 
Robert Surtees 
Ralph Robson 
HGL Smith 
CC Dennis 
Emma Dennis 
EF Dennis 
PJH Zohrab and family 
WJ Coltam 
J Denize 
E Coward 
J Coward 
R Short 
R Chapman 
F Hammond 
Joshua Upton 
R Hodgson 
WA Hodgson 
WF Russell 
JH Brooks 
David Sparks 
Hannah Newell 
Eliz Newell 
JH Davis 
H Davis 
GC Cato, agent for the ship.

On the 29th July, by the Rev James Green, daughter of William Peters, pensioned from the 45th Regiment, and Ann, his wife, christened Mary Ann.

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Passengers to Natal: Justina 1850

Justina arrived at Natal 11 November 1850, a barque commanded by Captain Brown 

Not one of Byrne's ships, the Justina carried the second party of immigrants under a copy-cat scheme privately arranged by George P Murdoch (who worked for Byrne's solicitors) and Capt. Richard W Pelly. Edmund Morewood was agent in Natal. The first group of settlers sent out by Murdoch had arrived earlier in the Ballangeich.

Passengers included the Reynolds family, later important Natal sugar planters, the Chadwicks, the Vinsons, the Griffiths family and the Buchanans.

In the original Natal Witness extract note mention of the Byrne vessels Emily, Devonian and Bernard.


Per Ship Justina, Brown, master, from London.

Isabella Wilson 
George D Atwood 
Denham Denny Boulty 
Thomas Reynolds 
Ellen Reynolds 
Thomas S Reynolds 
Lewis Reynolds 
John Henderson 
Mary A Henderson 
Henry Vinson 
Mary E Vinson 
Henry Vinson 
TMK Chadwick 
Ann Maria Chadwick 
Alice MMP Chadwick 
Edward Chadwick 
John CC Chadwick 
Mary Chadwick 
Jane Lloyd 
Margaret Shaw 
Ebenezer Buchanan 
Jane Buchanan 
Jane C Buchanan 
James Buchanan 
Ebenezer Buchanan 
David Buchanan 
William Buchanan 
John Buchanan 
Seymons Deighton 
Thomas Burman 
Abraham Wagner 
John Fordham 
Harriet Fordham 
Rachael Bradley 
Elizabeth Nadauld 
Maria Cridge 
William Beckwith 
Frederick Clayton 
Elizabeth J Clayton 
Frederick Clayton 
Ann Baker 
John Roger Griffiths 
Elizabeth Griffiths 
EA Griffiths 
Thomas Milne 
Robert Forsyth 
Mary Ann Forsyth 
John Forsyth 
George Robinson 
Sarah Ann Forsyth 
Henry Baker 
Edith Baker 
Rachel Baker 
Emily Emma Baker 
Thomas Parker 
Frederick L Edwards 
Thomas Pinkney 
Sarah Rudder 
Sarah Rudder 
Elizabeth Rudder 
William Rudder 
Henry Brenton 
Susanna Brenton 
Charles Brenton 
James John Murdock 
Margaret Ryan 
Caroline Ryan 
Thomas Wykes 
Merren Hall 
Thomas William Hall 
Amelia Hall 
Eleanor Hall 
Merren Hall 
Charlotte Hall 
Thomas Howse 
Elizabeth Howse 
Louisa Howse 
AJ Yardley 
William Kerslake 
Robert Fatham (Tatham) 
William Fenaby 
William Mould 
Sarah Mould 
Alfred Mould 
Margaret S Turner 
John William Harris 
Thomas Fielder 
Edward Taylor 
Frederick Barber 
John Henderson 
James Kent 
James Whenstone 
William Smith 
Alfred Foden 
Cuthbert Cook 
Edward T Durham 
Ann Durham 
Elizabeth Jane Durham 
ER Durham 
TH Kock 
Aran Bryand, Surgeon. 

Nov 11 - Justina, Barque, Captain J Brown from London with emigrants.
Nov 5 - The Mountain Maid and Devonian crossed the bar.
Nov 7 - Emily back to her anchorage.
Nov 7 - Sarah Bell out to Emily for baggage.

Devonian, Brig, Capt Stamper, bound to Mauritius;
Tuscan, Barque, Capt Tillman, to Mauritius;
Wanderer, Brig, Capt Metcalf, to Mauritius;
Mountain Maid, Brig, to Table Bay;
Gem, Schr. Capt W Glendining, to Table Bay;
Choice, Barque, Capt Robertson, to Mauritius.

Emily, Barque, Capt Wilson, to Bombay:
Sarah Bell, Capt Williams, taking in Emily's cargo;
Phoenix, Steamer, Capt Harrington, to Algoa Bay;
Justina, Barque, Capt Brown, port of destination unknown.

From London
Bernard and Conservative

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Emigration from Britain to Natal

Emigrants on the Lady Bruce 1850 (Illustrated London News)

The pamphlet describing Byrne's Natal emigration scheme outlined details for would-be settlers:

'Each adult will be provided with an intermediate passage, including provisions on a liberal dietary scale, for the sum of 19 pounds, or a steerage passage for 10 pounds, and on arrival in Natal have secured to him twenty acres of freehold land.' 

Passage monies had to be paid in advance and a passenger should take with him knife, fork, tablespoon, teaspoon, metal plate, a hook-pot, a mug and bedding. The scale of provisions for each class of passenger was stated.

Among Byrne's 20 ships, 15 sailed from London, three from Liverpool and two from Glasgow. All were sailing vessels, mostly barques or brigs of low tonnage. The smallest were the Wanderer (the first to arrive at Natal, on 12 May 1849) and the Sandwich (carrying only 12 passengers and arriving 27 July 1850; these vessels were 173 and 180 tons respectively. The largest were the Minerva, a former East Indiaman, at 987 tons, and the Unicorn, 946 tons.

They carried on average 150 settlers with their baggage, agricultural implements and other possessions. Some of the ships had schoolmasters and clergymen on board and under the Passenger Acts of 1849 each ship was obliged to carry a doctor. A number of children, elderly people and the sickly died on the long voyages of three or four months' duration, but most passengers arrived in good health and spirits. Despite Atlantic gales and baffling winds all the ships save two arrived safely at Port Natal, anchored outside the harvour in the roadstead, and disembarked their passengers in boats. The two exceptions were the Minerva and the British Tar, both hit by sudden storms and wrecked shortly after arrival - the immigrants survived.

This was the beginning rather than the end of the settlers' vicissitudes. Their story is eloquently told in A F Hattlersley's numerous works on the topic, and passenger lists as well as details of each voyage can be found in J Clark's volume Natal Settler Agent: The Career of John Moreland, Agent for the Byrne emigration scheme of 1849-51.

The mammoth project undertaken by Dr. Shelagh Spencer, British Settlers in Natal: a Biographical Register 1824-1857, needs no introduction. Seven volumes arranged alphabetically by surname have been published, with more in the pipeline. 

W J Irons's Christian Emigration and Colonization Scheme piggy-backed on the Byrne scheme, about 400 Wesleyan Methodists being shipped on some of Byrne's vessels and settling at Verulam on the Natal North Coast. Similarly, Byrne's ship the Lady Bruce carried a group of settlers from the Duke of Buccleuch's estate in Hampshire. 

Original passenger lists for Byrne arrivals are held at Pietermaritzburg Archives Repository.

Other private schemes were a spin-off from Byrne's enterprise: among them were those of John Lidgett and Richard Hackett, bringing Wesleyans in the ships Hebrides, Herald, John Bright, Choice and Nile. The Haidee also brought Wesleyans, from Yorkshire, through the efforts of Henry Boast. Other immigrants arrived on the Ballangeich and Justina, arranged by George Murdoch and Richard Pelly. In 1856 Alexander McCorkindale's group of approximately 80 immigrants came out on the Portia.

These settler parties were all of much smaller size than Byrne's, but together helped to build up Natal's colonial population.